Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Lobbying in DC

Well I've finally entered the world of the Senate Blog. I realize I needed to talk about my trip to DC.
The trip was very productive and I think we did a lot of good work. After meeting with Senator Dayton, Senator Coleman, Rep. McCollum, and Rep. Peterson I had a very good overall feeling. I feel the HR 609 should be defeated if it ever reaches the house floor. As of now it's been pushed back until at least the beginning of next year. HR 609 would cut federal student aid by almost 11 billion dollars. Bemidji State alone would lose $633,000 in campus based aid programs. The work the directors did in DC will help curb this loss.
The fight still isn't over and won't be until we know the final vote. I urge all students to call their Reps. and tell them to vote no on HR 609.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home