Thursday, October 28, 2004

MSUSA Fall Conference

Julie said to blog about the Conference, so here you go. I'm Campus Rep, so I suppose it's kinda my job anyhow... I'm a blogaholic, so it fits.

This past weekend was the MSUSA Fall Conference. 12 of us went down to St Paul for it. It was a busy weekend, we did a lot and learned a lot, and I think we had some fun too.

Friday was cool. Most of the group went to the Penny Fellowship Dinner that MSUSA puts on every year to raise money for a scholarship of the same name. Afterwords, we all went to my house (a mile from the hotel) where Mom had baked cookies and cake for everybody. A couple former Senators, Brent and Melissa, also joined us. They are totally awesome, and we miss having both of them around. It was cool to get everyone together and just hang out, tell stories, and have a good time. My Mom must have thought we were all nuts! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Saturday was crazy busy. We had a full day of committee meetings, issue briefings and trainings. Topics included media, HEA Reauthorization, Grassroots organizing and lobbying, coalition building, recruitment and retention, and planning for the tuition freeze campaign. I think all the meetings went very well, and I think people got a lot from them. All told, it was a 14 hour day for us. (16 for Julie...Thanks Pres!) That night we all just kind of hung out. Angie, Michelle, Sarah, Nicole and I ate pizza, talked, and we're generally silly until turning in about 1:30 AM.

Delegates went well on Sunday morning. We passed the MSUSA budget in less than a half hour...record time. We didn't start going through Articles of Operation because they need to be worked on more. So, we'll be considering those over the next few months, and they will come up at the regular Delegate Assembly the first weekend of April.

I think a good time was had by all. Conferences can be long and tiring sometimes. But they are also fun...great learning and bonding experiences. Any BSU student can go, so if you're reading this and it sounds interesting let us know. We're pretty cool, and so are most of the other delegations. Give conferences a try , I think you'll like them.

I'd like to conclude by once again saying THANKS to the BSUSA participants! You rock! Next up on the conference calendar: December 3-5 at Metropolitan State University!

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Way to be...thanks!
We should have a different person post about conferences each time - will give other people an experience with blogging AND take some work away from you :)

5:05 PM  
Blogger Berne said...

Sounds good. The more people we can hook on blogging the better :)

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home